Added by JANE LOUISE [lovinspoonful] on Mar 23, 2010
JANE from CLARKSTON, MI (pop. 42,991) says:
Again, going back to my vintage recipes that have been in my family for years, I spotted an old recipe from the 40's for carrot cake. It was titled THE BEST CARROT CAKE. Well, I figured it was now the 90's at the time and was sure someone probably had come up with a better recipe since then. I was wrong. To date, I have not tasted better carrot cake ever. It's easy and the outcome is amazing. A great spring cake for Easter dinner and a tradition around here...hide it from the Easter Bunny though.
Again, going back to my vintage recipes that have been in my family for years, I spotted an old recipe from the 40's for carrot cake. It was titled THE BEST CARROT CAKE. Well, I figured it was now the 90's at the time and was sure someone probably had come up with a better recipe since then. I was wrong. To date, I have not tasted better carrot cake ever. It's easy and the outcome is amazing. A great spring cake for Easter dinner and a tradition around here...hide it from the Easter Bunny though.
| Cook time: | 45 Min | Difficulty: | EASY | |
| Prep time: | 30 Min | Serves: | 15 |
Ingredients
| - 2 c sugar - 1 1/4 c oil - 4 large eggs - 2 c flour - 2 tsp baking soda - 1 Tbsp cinnamon - 1 tsp salt - 3 c grated carrots | - 1 c chopped walnuts FROSTING - 12 oz powdered sugar - 2 3 oz. cream cheese room temp - 1 tsp vanilla extract - 2 Tbsp butter - 2 Tbsp milk |
Directions
1. 1.In large bowl, beat sugar and oil. Add eggs and beat well. 2. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt into egg mixture; mix well; fold in carrots and nuts.
3. Place batter in greased 9x13 pan; bake for 45 minutes in a 350 oven. (Check once because of oven variances.)
4. FROSTING: Beat together powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, butter and milk; spread on cooled carrot cake.




